Sunday, September 26, 2010

09/26 Late Games...

Ouch!!!  The late games laid a whippin on my ass!  As I said in the original post for this week, the reason picking NFL games is so challenging is because teams that should win always lose and teams that should lose always win.  It pains me, but here's how it all broke down:

Game #10-
Redskins- 16 @ (-3.5) Rams- 30
     Just when you thought the Washington McSkins had a little something going on, they go out and get rolled by a team that starts a rookie quarterback and only picked up a single win in 2009.  I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score, I can't exactly figure out why the skins got beat.  They ran the ball well, averaging 6.8 yards a carry.  Santana Moss had a good day (124 yds, 1 td) and the defense held the Rams to only field goals in the 4th quarter.  Two telling numbers I see are first downs (13-23 in favor of the Rams) and 3rd down conversions (0-9).  The big question I'm asking is if you're getting almost 7 yards a carry, why can't you get first downs?  Regardless, in beating the Redskins this week, the Rams have now matched last year's number of wins.  Just think...if they win one more game, they will have doubled their win total!  Now that's improvement!
RESULT- Rams win AND cover (7-3, 6-4)

Game #11-
Eagles- 28 @ (-3.5) Jaguars- 3
     NostraDonley strikes again.  I said, unless Maurice Jones Drew (88 yds, 0 tds) goes apeshit, the Eagles should win this one comfortably.  Honestly, even if MJD ran wild, I wasn't giving Jacksonville much of a chance of winning this game.  I don't like the Jags on many different levels, but I think their biggest problem is the play of their quarterback, David Garrard.  He's not going to put you in position to score many points when he goes 13 of 30 for 105 yards, no touchdowns and 1 interception.  I think you could pull a drunken Bernie Kosar out of his luxury box, throw him on the field and he'd put up better numbers.  Unless those numbers improve, I look for the Jaguars to have a long season, which as I mentioned before, could lead to a change of location.  On the other side of the coin, Michael Vick put up another great game, passing for 291 yards and 3 touchdowns as well as rushing for 30 yards and another score.  Add that to the fact that the Eagles didn't turn over the football and you've got the recipe for wins.
RESULT- Eagles win AND cover (8-3, 7-4)

Game #12-
Colts- 27 @ (-5.5) Broncos- 13
     Well, it wasn't quite the game I was expecting, but the outcome was just as I predicted.  The Colts survived stellar performances from Bronco quarterback Kyle Orton (476 yards, 1 td) and wide receiver Brandon Lloyd (169 yds, 1 td) to get a tough win in Denver.  The Broncos put up an astounding 519 yards of total offense, but turned the ball over twice and that proved to be the difference.  Peyton Manning had a Manning-esque day, throwing for 325 yards and 3 scores, two of which went to Austin Collie (171 yds, 2 tds).  All in all, a typical day for the Colts.
RESULT- Colts win AND cover (9-3, 8-4)

Game #13-
Chargers- 20 @ (-5.5) Seahawks- 27
     Argh!!  Every year there is a team that's a thorn in my side.  Last year it was the Bengals.  Every time I picked them to win, they lost.  Every time I picked them to lose, they won.  This year, that team is the San Diego Chargers.  I can't figure them out and from this point forward, I vow to never include them in a parlay.  They're too risky.  The Seahawks are another team that has given me fits this season.  I figured them for a 6-8 win team.  New coach from the college ranks, old, brittle quarterback, weak skill players.  This team has 6 wins written all over it, yet they continue to beat teams they shouldn't.  I'm lumping Seattle into the same no parlay category as the Chargers.  Piss on both these teams!  Anyway, this particular game boiled down to special teams, which after letting Leon Washington rack up 253 return yards and 2 touchdowns, I'm sure will be a major topic at Chargers practice this week.
RESULT- Seahawks win AND cover (9-4, 8-5)

Game #14-
(-4.5) Raiders- 23 @ Cardinals- 24
     Yet another game that was decided by the special teams.  I bet Raiders' woman beating head coach, Tom Cable is PISSED that his team let some femme with two last names (LaRod Stephens-Howling) run the opening kick-off back 102 yards for a score, because other than that, the Cards didn't really do much.  Derek Anderson had a whopping 122 yards passing and as a team, they only managed 119 yards on the ground.  Pretty pathetic when you consider Darren McFadden had another 100 yard day (105 yds, 1 td).  I figured this game would suck a fat one and ladies and gentlemen, it did not disappoint!
RESULT- Cardinals win AND Raiders cover (9-5, 9-5)

So, that leaves two more games for the week and I've got a good feeling about them both.  Here's how the parlay looks after the late games:

Steelers (+3) over Buccaneers- WIN
Bengals (+3) over Panthers- WIN     
Colts @ (-5.5) Broncos- WIN

GO JETS!

No comments:

Post a Comment