Sunday, October 3, 2010

10/03 Early Games...

Well, instead of being the week of favorites, this week is turning out to be the week of underdogs.  In the first 8 games of the day, 5 underdogs won straight up and 7 dogs beat the spread.  Unfortunately, this trend didn't do much to help my picks.  As I mentioned in the original post for the week, I knew that going with so many favorites was a bad idea, but I rolled the dice and the house won.  On the bright side, I won the first parlay pick of the day.  But, as I'm typing this post, it's not looking so good for the final three.  I guess we'll see what happens.

Game #1-
(-6.5) Broncos- 26 @ Titans- 20
    I said two things in my original post that turned out to be true.  First, I said that I wasn't in love with the Titans because other than Chris Johnson, they don't have much on the offensive side of the football.  Considering their offense couldn't put the ball in the endzone in the second half, that proved to be true.  Second, I said that this game would be a better game than most expected, which was also true.  Kyle Orton put up another great passing day (341 yards, 2 tds) and leads the Broncos to the upset.
RESULT- Broncos win AND cover (0-1, 1-0)

Game #2-
(-1) Ravens- 17 @ Steelers- 14
    NostraDonley strikes again.  In the original post, I said I wouldn't be surprised to see a 17-13 game.  I was just one point off, but I picked the wrong winner.  Just as I anticipated, it was a game filled with big hits and physical play.  The Steelers got their big game from Rashard Mendenhall (79 yards, 2 tds), but in the end it was Joe Flacco making the big play for Baltimore, throwing a score to T.J. Whoseyourmamma with :34 left in the game.
RESULT- Ravens win AND cover (0-2, 1-1)

Game #3-
Bengals- 20 @ (-3) Cleveland- 23
    NostraDonley said this game would be close and once again he was right.  Unfortunately, he also said that Cedric Benson would have a big day (60 yards, 0tds) and that the Bengals defense would shut down Peyton Hillis (102 yards, 1td).  Obviously, neither of those happened.  Despite the fact that Carson Palmer had his first solid game of the year (371 yards, 2tds) and Terrell Owens went insane (222 yards, 1td), the Bengals STILL lost to an 0-4 team.  They made a run at the end, reeling off 10 unanswered points and holding Cleveland scoreless in the 4th, but ultimately the Bungles couldn't make enough plays to pull off the victory.
RESULT- Browns win AND cover (0-3, 1-2)

Game #4-
(-14.5) Lions- 26 @ Packers- 28
    Wow, was I ever wrong about this game!  The Lions came to play, out gaining the Pack 431 yards to 261.  Aaron Rogers threw for 3 scores, but only had 181 yards and tossed 2 interceptions.  Shaun Hill had a pretty good game (331 yards, 2tds) against a tough Packer defense, but in the end, his 2 interceptions (1 returned for a score) doomed the Lions.  If the Packers want me to continue believing they are the best team in the NFC, they need to play better football than what I've seen over the last two games.
RESULT- Packers win AND Lions cover (1-3, 1-3)


Game #5-
(-13.5) Panthers-14 @ Saints-16
    If you're curious about what happened in this game, go ahead and read what NostraDonley wrote in the original post about this game.  The game basically played out word for damn word!  The Saints should have killed this team, yet they squeak out a 2 point victory in the closing minutes.DeAngelo Williams ran for 86 yards and a touchdown and for the fourth week in a row, the Saints couldn't get their offense in gear.
RESULT- Saints win AND Panthers cover (2-3, 2-3)

Game #6-
(-7) 49ers- 14 @ Falcons- 16
     San Fransisco held Atlanta's 6th ranked offense to only 16 points (surprising), but it was the Atlanta defense, that stepped up this week.  After giving up 14 points in the first quarter, they stiffened and didn't let the niners put another point on the board the rest of the game.  San Fran has been relatively competitive in their 4 games, but unfortunately for them, at 0-4, I think their hopes for an NFC West title and playoff birth are gone with the winds at Candlestick.
RESULT- Falcons win AND 49ers cover (3-3, 2-4)

Game #7-
Seahawks- 3 @ (-1) Rams- 20
    Once again, Mr. Hyde reared his ugly head in Seattle.  Coming off a week where they score 27 points to beat a vastly better team in San Diego, they put up 3 points against a team coming off a 1 win season.  From here on, when it comes to the Seattle Seahawks, I'm going to pick the opposite of what I think is going to happen.  That formula would have worked over these first 4 games, so I don't see why it won't work for the rest of the season.  Three measly points.  How pathetic! 
RESULT- Rams win AND cover (3-4, 2-5)

Game #8-
Jets- 38 @ (-5.5) Bills-14
    NostraDonley was pretty accurate on this game. Sanchez had another decent game, throwing 2 touchdowns and not turning the ball over.  The defense held the Bills in check for most of the day, giving up a garbage time 4th quarter touchdown.  Considering the Bills aren't a very good football team, this outcome didn't surprise me in the slightest.
RESULT- Jets win AND cover (4-4, 3-5)

So, I went .500 in straight picks over the first 8, but tanked against the spread.  Hopefully I can improve those numbers after the late games finish.  On the bright side, I won my first parlay pick.

4 Game Parlay Picks:
Jets (+5.5) over Bills- WIN
Colts (+7.5) over Jaguars
Bears (-4) over Giants
Eagles (+6) over the Redskins

No comments:

Post a Comment